Build a Pump Drill (Primitive Fire Starting)
Sunday, November 1st from 1:00pm to 4:00pm
The Pump Drill was originally invented by the Iroquois tribe, the pump drill is the most advanced tool for starting a primitive fire. Similar to a hand drill, the device consists of different pieces and types of wood and string but is more effective because the design enables you to create constant friction. In this clinic, you will learn the principles of a building pump drill and you will craft your own to take home so you can practice your primitive fire starting skills.
You will learn:
-To harvest and construct a pump drill
-To gather and create nesting
-To blow a coal into flame.
When we are done, you get to take home your pump drill put on your mantle or entertain your friends at parties!
Where: White Ranch Open Space Park
How Much: Suggested donation of $30 dollars
- Take 6th Ave West past Golden
- Continue straight onto CO-93 N (signs for Colorado 93) 1.4 mi
- Turn left onto Golden Gate Canyon Rd 3.9 mi
- Slight right onto Crawford Gulch Rd 3.7
- Turn right onto Belcher Hill Rd
- Go to the parking lot at the end of the road.